Wellington, New Zealand: A Chinese national was charged Tuesday after allegedly attacking diners with an axe-like weapon at three restaurants in New Zealand’s largest city, injuring four.
The man was charged after incidents at three Auckland Chinese restaurants that hospitalized four people, police said.
Authorities responded at around 9 pm (0900 GMT) Monday after receiving “multiple calls” from the area where restaurant patrons had been assaulted, police added.
Local media said the man entered the eateries, which are all near each other and hit diners with a weapon resembling an axe.
Videos posted on social media showed the floor of one restaurant covered in blood as police detained a man.
A 24-year-old man was arrested at the scene before appearing Tuesday at North Shore District Court, where he was granted interim name suppression.
He was charged with wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm, but police said more charges were likely.
Inspector Stefan Sagar, the Waitemata East Area Commander, acknowledged “how frightening this was for those involved”.
Listen to the latest songs, only on JioSaavn.com
He said police believe it was an isolated incident, adding that there is no evidence “to suggest this is a racially-motivated attack”.